Mrs. M.J. van Steenis-Kruseman laboriously collected all data on collectors in the Southeast Asian Archipelago, also known as Malesia (comprising Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Phillippines, Singapore). She published her data in Flora Malesiana series 1, volume 1 as the Cyclopaedia of collectors with some Addenda and corrigenda at the end of volume 1. Two supplements were published in Flora Malesiana ser. 1, vol. 5 and 8. The data of the volumes 1, 5 and 8 are now combined into this website.
Flora Malesiana is the major flora for the Malay Archipelago. It is published by NCB Naturalis (formerly the Nationaal Herbarium Nederland).
The data are more or less complete up to 1974. Later data on collectors and their trips can be obtained from the Flora Malesiana Bulletin.
The data were only slightly changed.
- The name of the town Leiden in the Netherlands, spelled Leyden in Flora Malesiana, has been changed back to Leiden.
- Abbreviations of herbaria are added (under heading Collections) and these can be checked against the Index Herbariorum of which a short-cut has been added (red button in left column).
- In Flora Malesiana the collecting trips are sometimes headed under Collecting localities, sometimes under Itinerary, this has been consequently changed into Collecting localities.
Changes in the Wiki version
- Entries have been reformatted for better readability.
- Some page titles have been changed to better fit page naming on a Wiki. Any information that was removed has been included just below the title.
- Due to Wiki limitations, the order of entries is different on the Category pages. For example, the Dutch IJ combination can be found under I in the category pages, instead of Y in previous versions of the Cyclopedia where the Dutch IJ combination is regarded as Y and used alphabetically as the latter.
If all information per collector is available the following headings can be found:
- sources of the data (Flora Malesiana part 1, 5, and/or 8)
- name of collector
- data and place of birth and death
- short overview of career
- collecting localities
- collections (herbaria)
- literature references
- picture gallery
Pages listing all Collectors and Herbaria can be found here.
Find place name
In order to find a place name under a certain collector one can use the Find option of their web browser. Press Ctrl-F and type the place name (indicate if you want to search up or down).
Original web version of Cyclopedia by Peter van Welzen.